R equirements for membership are essentially an advanced or terminal professional degree, five years of post-degree clinical experience working with couples or families and five years of supervision or teaching experience in couples or family therapy or performance of significant research in the field of family therapy or in an allied field. Student, Affiliate, and Early Career membership levels have different criteria.
Academy Members are accomplished professionals who satisfy the general requirements for membership and have been recommended by a member of the Academy or other person(s) recognized as respected and accomplished within their field.
Click for more information about Academy Members.
Academy Members are expected to hold an advanced degree in one of the social or behavior sciences, or a terminal professional degree in a health or mental health related field (subject to evaluation by the membership committee), or demonstrated leadership advancing knowledge and practice for social change that promotes health, safety, and wellbeing of individuals, couples, families, and communities.
Candidates must demonstrate contributions in at least one of the following:
- Five years post-degree clinical experience working with couples or families and five years supervision or teaching of couples or family therapy.
- Five years of significant research in the mental health field as evaluated by the membership committee.
- Five years post degree experience working in family policy analysis, family advocacy, family history, family law, program. development, or other areas concerned with the wellbeing of families.
- Other significant contribution (for at least five years) to the field of family therapy, or to social change that supports families and communities. Examples include but are not limited to a couples or family therapy clinician dedicated to the field, respected by peers, and sought out for consultation and or/training; leadership positions representing the family therapy field to the public and to other practitioners; innovation implementation of family therapy models that expand accessibility services, especially to poor and minority populations; and other evidence of leadership in promoting and advancing the field; active leadership for public education, self-help, public health, policy advocacy, community organizing, etc.
To apply for Academy membership, you’ll need to submit the following:
- Regular Membership Application Form
- Letter of Recommendation Form for Academy Membership (3 required)
- A recent Curricula Vitae
Member Dues: $289 US, $225 CA, $144.50 InternationalApply Now
Student Members are promising students or postgraduates who do not yet meet the criteria for Early Career Membership.
Click for more information about Student Members.
In June 2007, a Student Membership Pilot Project was created for promising students or post-graduates who do not yet meet the criteria for Early Career Membership.
A Member of the Academy may nominate a student whom they consider to be an up and coming leader in the field who is currently a student and has completed coursework in basic family theory and practice, clinical practicum, and has an interest in a family systems-oriented career.
If you’re interested in becoming a Student Member of the Academy but don’t know any Academy Members, contact the AFTA office for information about how you can be nominated.
To apply for Student Membership, please send us the following:
- Student Membership Application Form
- Student Membership Letter of Recommendation Form (two are required, one must be nomination from an Academy member in good standing)
- A recent Curricula Vitae
Read more about Student Membership.
Member Dues: $96.50 USApply Now
Early Career Members
Early Career Members are those new to their field and do not yet meet the general requirements for full Academy membership, yet have been recognized by members of the Academy as up and coming leaders.
Click for more information about Early Career Members.
Early Career Members are up and coming leaders in the field who may not yet meet the requirements of full Academy Membership. To become an ECM, you must have been involved in one or more of the following for at least two years subsequent to obtaining an advanced degree (or equivalent):
- Family therapy and family therapy teaching.
- Family research, e.g., journal article, book chapter, significant dissertation research.
- Significant work in family policy analysis, family advocacy, family history, family law, program development, or other area(s) concerned with the well being of families.
To apply for Early Career Membership, you’ll need to submit the following:
- Early Career Membership Application Form
- Early Career Membership Letter of Recommendation Form (three are required, one must be from an Academy member in good standing)
- A recent Curricula Vitae
Read more about Early Career Membership.
Members dues: $144.50 USApply Now
Affiliate Members are professionals from allied fields and laypersons who share the Academy’s goals and values but are not engaged in the work of the other membership categories.
Charter Academy Members
Charter Academy Members are recognized innovators and leaders within the field of Family Therapy who founded AFTA or came to Academy in the early years.