Leading the field of
The Founding Board of AFTA
Philadelphia, March 12, 1978
T he American Family Therapy Academy is an organization of approximately 600 leading national and international family therapy and allied-field academics, clinicians, researchers, program directors, and policymakers. We are the builders and consumers of models, theories, investigations, and trainings in systemic theory and practice.
- A unique, interdisciplinary and diverse professional community built upon collegiality, collaboration, mentorship, and friendship;
- A place where our field takes shape and new ideas are born;
- A professional community that studies the interaction of biological, psychological, relational, and socio-cultural dimensions contributing to mental health and wellbeing;
- An organization that holds a core commitment to equality, social responsibility and justice with attention to marginalized and underserved groups, and fosters policies that support the welfare of families and children and serves as a context for all concerned with the health of the family;
- An active and dynamic network of professionals with a commitment to keep its members informed of all subjects of concern to those in the mental health field;
- A place for referrals and valuable research, practice, and training;
- An organization that influences international dialogue about relationship and family therapy by inviting prominent educators, practitioners, and researchers throughout the world to participate in membership and annual events;
- An organization that hosts thought-provoking conferences and releases the Springer Briefs, a journal focused on innovative systemic research and theory in family therapy and allied fields.