- Is a place where our field takes shape, generates and nurtures new ideas, and challenges itself to advance systemic family-centered perspectives on mental health, social constructionist and next generation thinking;
- Addresses the interaction of biological, psychological, relational, and socio-cultural dimensions;
- Holds a core commitment to equality, social responsibility and justice with attention to marginalized and underserved groups, and fosters policies that support the welfare of families and children and serves as a context for all concerned with the health of the family
- Attracts a unique interdisciplinary and diverse membership, concerned with the mutual interactions of individual and family health and wellbeing in larger social contexts;
- Fosters collegiality, collaboration, mentorship, and friendship among members with varying perspectives within the field, through an active dynamic, network that undertakes to know about and keep its members informed of all subjects of concern to family clinicians.
- Provides easy access for practice referrals and valuable research, practice, and training information via the website, searchable database, e-list, and directory;
- Contributes to international dialogue about family therapy and systemic practices by inviting prominent family therapists throughout the world to participate in AFTA as International Members
- Publishes the thought-provoking and cross-disciplinary AFTA Monograph Series, focusing on current issues in family therapy and systemic practices, and disseminates information on new publications and research resources; and
- Offers a unique Annual Conference that is intellectually stimulating, focused on cutting edge topics and knowledge, and addresses personal and professional growth in accessible, peer exchange formats, and a Biennial Clinical/Research meeting that has received uniformly high praise.